Dr. Tom Fame is the second oldest of nine children, born in Rochester, NY. He worked at his father’s bar and restaurant growing up, and later moved to Texas, Oklahoma, and Colorado training in medicine while serving in the U.S. Air Force. Dr. Fame, his wife Leah, and their three girls moved to Salem in 1992 where he has practiced allergy ever since.
Dr. Fame is a member of the Salem Rotary Club where he served as president in 2002. He has won several civic awards including:
• 2009 Salem-Roanoke Country Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year
• Dr. Fame is consistently named the TOP DOC in Allergy by The Roanoker Magazine
• 2011 Roanoke Chapter of the NAACP Citizen of the Year – Medicine
• 2016 Salem Outstanding Citizen
Dr. Tom Fame’s Professional Credentials:
• B.S. in Medicinal Chemistry from the University of Buffalo (1979)
• M.D. from University of Texas Medical Center – Houston (1984)
• Pediatric Residency from University of Oklahoma – Children’s Hospital (1987)
• Staff Pediatrician – Dyess Air Force Base – Abilene Texas
• Allergy Fellowship – National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine – Denver Colorado (1992)
• Masters in Public Health from Johns Hopkins School of Public Health (2012)
What do we treat?
Generally we see people who are “sick all the time” with various respiratory illnesses. Here is a listing of what we see.
Nasal and Sinus conditions
Animal and Pollen Allergy
Chronic Asthma, Bronchitis and coughing
Food Allergy including Eosinophilic Esophagitis
Severe Bee Sting Allergy
Eczema of the skin
Drug and Vaccine Allergy